Download my resumé in .pdf format here.
THOMAS J. MANSON, P.ENG.
Professional Mechanical Engineer with 9 years of experience in the engineering industry. Skilled at exceeding expectations in engineering design, project management, client relations, and product development. A farming background helped forge a high level of motivation, ambition, and an eagerness to work hard.
Industrial Technology Centre, Winnipeg, MB, 2011 to Present
Mechanical Engineer / Project Manager / Deputy Manager of Engineering
- Manage projects involving custom testing requested by clients. Determine client requirements, develop a test procedure and provide a test quote, perform testing, analyse the results, and provide a report to the client within the estimated time and budget.
- Projects involve non-standard and complex testing of products and materials, noise and vibration testing on transport vehicles, and ground vibration testing during construction projects.
- Obtain environmental noise information and simulate environmental noise for roadway or building construction projects using SoundPLAN software for the simulation and analysis.
- Acquire data from a myriad of transducers using Somat or Brüel & Kjær PULSE data acquisition systems. Perform high-level analysis of acquired data using nCode Glyphworks or Brüel & Kjær PULSE Reflex software.
- Support the Engineering and Technical services team and act as Manager of Engineering and Technical Services when the Engineering Manager is unavailable.
- Part of a 7-person team responsible for annual revenues of more than $1,000,000.
StandardAero Ltd., Winnipeg, MB, 2008 to 2009 & 2010 to 2011
- Developed processes, fixtures, inspection criteria, and repairs relating to the maintenance and overhaul of the T56 model of Rolls-Royce turboprop aircraft engine and the PT6A model of Pratt & Whitney turboprop aircraft engine.
- Was a member of a four-person team that was responsible for transferring all repairs, tools, and equipment for the PW100 turboprop aircraft engine from Europe to Winnipeg, MB.
- Created, maintained, and updated work instructions relating to the repair of engine defects. Provided engineering support to a team of welders, machinists, inspectors, and equipment operators.
Spectrum Engineering, La Salle, MB, 2009 to 2010
Mechanical Design Engineer-in-training
- Performed mechanical and structural design and stress analysis on various projects, including pedestrian bridges, cargo trailers, coach frames, and grain storage bins. Used SolidEdge CAD and ANSYS Workbench FEA.
Undershute Engineering, Victoria, BC, 2008
- Designed piping, ventilation, and drainage layouts for public and private clients. Created mechanical drawings using AutoCAD to show piping layout for grease traps, sewer line hookups, and other plumbing devices in accordance with British Columbia building code.
Canada Post Corporation, Winnipeg, MB, 2006 & 2007
Junior Engineer (summer student)
- Obtained data relating to resource allotment and designed more efficient work areas. Tasked with increasing the efficiency of product flow and throughput.
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB, 2008
- 650 GMAT Score (2017)
- NavCon Engineering SoundPLAN software training, Los Angeles, CA, USA (2014)
- Brüel & Kjær Reflex System software training, Los Angeles, CA, USA (2012)
- Brüel & Kjær Pulse System software training, Los Angeles, CA, USA (2012)
- Rapidform Reverse Engineering software training, Winnipeg, MB (2012)
- Stratasys Insight & Fortus 3D Printing Equipment training, Winnipeg, MB (2012)
- ANSYS Workbench FEA design and analysis software, Winnipeg, MB (2009)
- Workplace Hazardous Material Information Systems, Winnipeg, MB (2009)
- Basic Machining – Lathe Course – Red River College, Winnipeg, MB (2009)
Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Access, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint, Project, Word), SolidWorks, AutoCAD, SoundPLAN, Geomagic Design X, PULSE Reflex, and nCode Glyphworks.
AFFILIATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
EGM (Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba, formerly APEGM), SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers), UMES (University of Manitoba Engineering Society – former member of the Executive Council), Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI), CANSail, Habitat for Humanity, Royal Canadian Legion, Domain Players Dinner Theatre.
References available upon request